Sunday, July 13, 2008

Addiction

I have a problem, I am addicted to oil.

I live in the developed world.

If that was not bad enough I love speed.

I love driving fast.

Fast for me is what most sane people call stupidly fast.

My car is old. Made before we invented kilometres.

The speedometer is just numbers, no units, mph never had to be said.

0-60 was a concern for city drivers, 0-100 for highway drivers.

The speedometer ends at 120, when you hit 120 the needle keeps on going.

It stops pointing at N on the gear selector that would be where 140 would have been.

140 in modern would be written as 224km/h or 140 mph because now speedometers have one numer big and another small just in case we travel across boarders.

Now in Ontario if we go 50km over the speed limit it is called street racing or stunt driving.

The law is illegal, unfortunately the judicial system has not cast the law down.

50 km over the speed limit is 130 km/h in an 80 zone, 110 km/h in a 60 zone, and 90km/h in a 40 zone.

I've done 224 km/h or N on my speedometer.

We need roads with an unlimited speed limit.

The 400 series highways between cities should all have no speed limit.

If I am driving between Kingston and Cornwall who cares how fast I am going?

I have two lanes, right is slow and left is fast.

Let me sit in the left and go as fast as I feel is safe.

I'll move over for people on my bumper and I'll expect the same for the people whose bumper I am approaching.

I don't need a babysitter, I don't need a nanny state, I drive smart, I don't put others in danger, any risk I take is mine to take and I take it alone.

The government needs to let me have my vice.

Not having it will be my end.

No comments: